University of Aberdeen PhD Philosophy Scholarship for International Students 2022
The University of Aberdeen is delighted to welcome applications from interested and eligible international students for a PhD Philosophy Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded for a research on Digital Knowledge-A New Framework for Digital Epistemic Virtues.
This competitive scholarship is open to applicants from around the globe, providing a full tuition fee waiver and a maintenance stipend of £6,000 per year. Subject to satisfactory progress this scholarship will be awarded for 3 years.
DETAILS | University of Aberdeen PhD Philosophy Scholarship
We are increasingly in the grip of an information epidemic, which the spread of health misinformation online along with rising distrust of experts has only served to highlight with tragic emphasis.
The project will use the latest tools of social epistemology and virtue epistemology in order to put our understanding of online inquiry and information sharing on an entirely new footing, to better understand the sources of online epistemic risk, and to better train ourselves to navigate them skilfully.
To be eligible for University of Aberdeen PhD Philosophy Scholarship, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants from around the globe
- Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and potential for independent research, as evidenced by the candidate’s academic record, prior qualifications, proposal and references.
- Applicants must hold, or expect to hold prior to commencement of studies, an undergraduate degree at UK first class or 2:1 honours level, or the international equivalent, in philosophy, which includes courses in epistemology
- It is preferable but not a requirement that you hold a Masters relevant to your chosen area of study. Other factors such as financial status and nationality are not taken into account.
- Selection will be based on this evidence and upon the strength of the proposed engagement with the advertised research project.
Before you apply, please contact the supervisor by email to discuss your potential fit with the project, how your own research interests will benefit the project, and how you intend to frame your research proposal.
You must include a detailed research proposal (1000-1500 words) which sets out how you will engage with the advertised PhD project, degree transcripts and certificates, and be supported by two academic references. Further guidance on research proposal may be found here.
You should mark your application “Digital Knowledge-A New Framework for Digital Epistemic Virtues A New Framework for Digital Epistemic Virtues” in the Intended Source of Funding field on your online application.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022