Sony Music Group 2022 Global Scholars Program for Young Talents
Sony Music Group’s (SMG) commitment to corporate giving is at the heart and soul of Sony Music Group’s philanthropic programs and activities across the globe – from the programs led by the business to the partnerships forged with artists, songwriters, and other creators. On June 5, 2020, Sony Music Group announced the launch of a $100 million Global Social Justice Fund to support anti-racist initiatives and educational opportunities around the world that foster equal rights.
As a commitment through the Global Social Justice Fund, Sony Music Group, in partnership with IIE, is pleased to announce a new global scholarship program that will propel the future careers of young, diverse talent in the music industry. This signature scholarship program aims to advance access to post-secondary education at a wide range of leading music and music business education institutions in the global community.
Requirements for SMG Global Scholars Program Qualification
- This scholarship is open to students who are planning to enroll full-time in an accredited college or university degree, including 3-4 year undergraduate degree programs, in music or music business-related fields of study during the academic year of 2022-2023.
- Maintain a U.S. equivalent GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or above is required to apply for this scholarship.
- An applicant’s academic record must show potential to succeed in a college/university program in their intended music industry field.
- A demonstrated financial need.
- Applicants do not need to be accepted into a program at the time of application, but if selected for a scholarship, proof of full-time enrollment will be required before scholarship funds can be sent.
Interview date, Process and Venue for SMG Global Scholars Program
Scholarship applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Achievement and potential in music fields
- Demonstrated leadership potential and ability
- Personal character, commitment, and potential in their chosen field of study and future music industry career
- Clearly expressed financial need to support educational goals
- Academic achievement
- Career and academic goals in line with stated scholarship objectives
- Compelling references
Documents Required for Application
A complete application must be submitted in English and will include:
- Completed online application form
- A personal statement (up to 3,500 characters)
- An estimate of your expected tuition and mandatory fees to complete your degree programs during the academic year of 2022-2023;
- Two reference letters. The letters must come from non-family members who know you well – for example, a teacher, instructor, professor, employer/work supervisor, scout leader, advisor to an extracurricular club, etc.
- High school transcript/grade report issued by the school (for applicants from the United Kingdom or Commonwealth countries, A level, O level, GCSE, or BTEC results are also acceptable)
- Only applications completed by the deadline will be reviewed. Falsifying or plagiarizing any portion of your application is grounds for automatic disqualification.
July 25, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Sony Music Group on myapp.iie.org to apply
Notification of Selection Results
- All applicants will be notified of their application status (successful or unsuccessful) by the end of September.
- The Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program is a competitive program; not all applicants will be selected as recipients.
- Recipients will need to submit verification of their full-time enrollment in an accredited college or university in order to receive their scholarship awards.
- For students in the United States selected for the scholarship, IIE will require that they submit their financial aid package information. Based on the student’s unmet financial needs, IIE will determine the scholarship amount ranging between USD 3,000 and USD 20,000.
- Scholarship recipients who are not able to produce proof of enrollment by the date indicated in the award letter will no longer be eligible and an alternate candidate will be selected.
For more details, click here