Meridian 2022 Pan Africa Youth Leadership Program for Young African Leaders
Funded by the U.S. Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and implemented by Meridian International Center, the Pan Africa Youth Leadership Program engages participants from over 38 African countries in a U.S.-based cultural exchange and civic engagement training program.
To bring together the top PAYLP alumni from across all cohorts (2013-2022) and countries, the Pan Africa Youth Leadership Program is offering a one-time All-Stars alumni program. This program is designed to provide talented, hard-working, and highly motivated African PAYLP Alumni an opportunity to spend three weeks in the United States for an intensive leadership training and development program between February and March of 2023.
The program consists of a short orientation conference in Atlanta, Georgia where participants will be welcomed and receive a program overview, followed by a two-week community leadership program held in one of three U.S. cities. During this portion of the program participants will receive leadership training, networking and volunteer opportunities, and cultural experiences. The program will culminate with a closing forum in Washington, DC where participant will present Community Action Plans. Upon completion of the program, participants will have the opportunity to apply for funding to implement their Community Action Plan. This year’s PAYLP All-Stars will focus on the following skills:
- Leadership Development
- Communications and Negotiation Skills
- Peacebuilding and Conflict Resolutions
- Community Activism
Requirements for Meridian Pan Africa Youth Leadership Program Qualification
APPLICANTS MUST :
- Be an adult mentor or youth participant alumni from any in-person or virtual PAYLP cohort 2013-2022.
- Be at least 18 years or older by the start of the program, on February 18, 2023.
- Be from one of the eligible countries including Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Rrepublic of Congo, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities in his/her university or community;
- Demonstrate a commitment to community service and extracurricular activities;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an in-person intensive program, community service, and active educational travel program during the exchange, as well as in follow-on activities afterward in their home countries, such as outreach to others in country cohort.
- Based in home country or show intent to return to support home community.
- Be in possession of a valid national passport or able to obtain one before January 1, 2023.
- Be willing and able to obtain a covid vaccination for travel.
- Strong candidates will be active in the PAYLP network, have completed a successful project supporting their community.
- Not be employed by the U.S. Embassy.
- *Participants with diverse backgrounds and skills are encouraged to apply, including individuals with disabilities.*
Interview date, Process and Venue for Meridian Pan Africa Youth Leadership Program
WHAT : 3-Week Advanced Leadership Exchange in the United States
WHEN : February – March 2023
WHO : PAYLP Alumni (See Eligibility Requirements Below)
HOW TO APPLY :
- Application Opens : September 1, 2022 at 10 :00 AM ET
- Application Closes : October 1, 2022 at 5 :00 PM ET
October 1, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Meridian International on fs3.formsite.com to apply
For more details,visit Meridian website