Lutheran World Federation(LWF) 2023 Scholarships in Theology, Diaconal and Development for Developing Countries
Through the LWF scholarships program LWF works alongside its member churches in developing their capacity to serve effectively in their contexts. The scholarship program helps churches to acquire qualified personnel for spiritual care and diaconal work. The main criteria for a candidate approval is the church’s corresponding need to increase its human and institutional capacity, either in areas of theology or diakonia/development.
The Lutheran World Federation scholarships applications are for studies and training related to theological, diaconal and development work.
Aim and Benefits of LWF Undergraduate, Masters, PhD/Postdoctoral Scholarship
- In total, 50-70 scholarships will be awarded for studies in diaconia and development and 20-25 for theological studies.
Requirements for LWF Undergraduate, Masters, PhD/Postdoctoral Scholarship Qualification
- Church affiliation of the candidate: Only applications from active members of LWF member churches are considered. All applications must be endorsed and submitted by the church. No applications submitted by individuals will be considered.
- Nationality of the candidate: Only candidates from developing countries are eligible for scholarships in fields of diakonia/development. The theological scholarships are, in principle, open to candidates from all regions and countries.
- Age limits: Only candidates up to a certain age are eligible for Lutheran World Federation scholarships, depending on the pursued degree:
Degree Maximum age at the time of application* Bachelor degrees 35 Master degrees 40 Doctorate 45 Post-doctoral/research 50 *Special considerations:
- For candidates who are church employees at the time of application, age limits may be exceeded by up to 7 years for female candidates and up to 5 years for male candidates.
- For candidates who are actively engaged in the church’s theological or diaconal work at the time of application, age limits may be exceeded by up to 5 years for female candidates and up to 3 years for male candidates.
- Relatively higher consideration is made for female candidates due to social and cultural factors which cause them to pursue studies later.
Interview date, Process and Venue for LWF Undergraduate, Masters, PhD/Postdoctoral Scholarship
- HICD needs of the church: The proposed training field and degree has to respond well to the human and institutional capacity development needs of the church. The requesting church must demonstrate convincingly how a given application would meet a specific and crucial personnel need in its overall ministry in church and society.
- Current and future position of the candidate: All candidates are expected to have been in the service of the church and/or community as employees or volunteers. There has to be a clear commitment by the church to engage the candidate as employee or volunteer in an area related to the proposed training after completion of the candidate’s studies/training.
- Quality of the application: The candidate must demonstrate convincingly his/her commitment, ability and motivation to pursue the training and to support the church afterwards (good educational and professional qualifications, recommendations and certificates, convincing character).
- Study place. The LWF encourages candidates to study in their home country or home region. In case a study or training program abroad is proposed, convincing reasons must be given in the application.
- Gender and youth quota: At least 40% of the approved candidates will be female; at least 20% will be youth below the age of 30 years. These quotas will not only apply to the overall approvals, but also to each church and region.
- Regional balance: The LWF seeks to ensure that candidates from different regions, countries and churches are
October 15, 2022
How to Apply
You should apply via the new online application system. Applications can only be submitted through LWF member churches. Individuals interested in a scholarship should contact their church office.
For more details,visit LWF website