Huawei 2022 Acceleration of Digital Innovation in Africa
In a continent of nearly 34 million unemployed people, software development provides a significant opportunity for empowerment. Africa has more than 700,000 developers, 31% of whom are self-taught.
Even more significant, almost one in five developers are women. Now in its third year, the annual Huawei Global App Innovation Contest (Apps UP) provides an invaluable platform for our continent’s best app developers to showcase their talents while helping to accelerate digital innovation in the process.
To date, Apps UP has received nearly 10,000 submissions from different parts of the world. This year’s theme is ‘Together We Innovate’ and encourages developers to create apps that integrate Huawei Mobile Services capabilities and services which can enhance the experiences of over 650 000 Huawei end users in over 170 countries and regions.
Aim and Benefits of Huawei Acceleration of Digital Innovation in Africa
As has been the case of previous competitions, Apps UP 2022 has more than $1 million in prizes up for grabs to encourage developers to create mobile apps that bring a seamless, digital, and innovative experience to end users. Of this, $200,000 will be allocated to the following award winners in the Middle East and Africa:
- Best Application Award
- Best Game Award
- Most Social Impact Award
- Best HMS Core Innovation Award
- All-Scenario Coverage Award
- Excellent Student Award
- Starlight Creative Award, and
- Honourable Mention Award
Requirements for Huawei Acceleration of Digital Innovation in Africa Qualification
- African developers who are keen to put their creativity to work and be in the running for these awards and global recognition, need to register an account on the official Huawei Apps UP contest Website.
- Applicants can sign up either as an individual or as a team of no more than four members, including a team leader. The deadline for final submissions is 9 October 2022.
- The judging panel will review the submitted works and select 30 apps from each region for the public review and finals stages.
- These shortlisted apps will be highlighted for global promotion, on both the contest’s official Website and AppGallery by 20 November 2022.
- The public rating score for each work is based on the number of votes the app receives. Each region will hold its own final judging in December 2022.
- The judging panel will rank the 30 shortlisted works according to a comprehensive scoring formula in which the judging panel, public rating and HMS integration scores are added.
December 28, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Huawei on developer.huawei.com to apply
For more details, click here